Let's face it Christmas has became very commercialized. The main point of Christmas is to celebrate Jesus's birth and enjoy our loved ones. Trust me you are not the only one who sometimes gets caught up in the "stuff" part of it. That part of it is fun too. However it can be expensive. So White Elephant Christmas game to the rescue!
It is hard to imagine now that there was ever a time that I didn't know about this Christmas tradition but really I was only introduced to it a few years ago. The first time I ever heard of it was at my husband's family's Christmas get together. I think my girls were 1 & 2 at the time, so this would have been about 8 years ago. Now let me explain something about my husband's family. They are one of those great big families that are still incredibly close! We were trying to count how many Grandkids my husband's grandma had the other day....and well let's just say it's a lot! LOL! Forget counting the Great Grandkids! Here is a family photo from our trip to PA in August just to give you an idea and this isn't even everyone!
Can you even imagine buying that many Christmas gifts???? So we play the White Elephant Christmas game at a big Christmas party. Each family brings one gift that is $10-$15 and a food dish. There is always more than enough delicious food. They have also come up with some fantastic tricks! For instance one year they put a $100 bill in a roll of toilet paper. This is when Kevin taught me to always pick the worst gift! LOL! So here is how the White Elephant game works.
1. You pick a price point. As previously mentioned people do sometimes break the price point but it makes it less stressful for everyone to know they don't have to spend much. Most people stay within the budget.
2. Wrap the gift in a fun way so that no-one can tell what it is. I have seen them put really tiny things in with a big piece of wood! LOL!
3. Count all of the gifts.
4. Tear up pieces of paper to match the amount of gifts. Then write one number on each piece of paper.
5. Put all the numbers in a bag, bowl, hat or whatever strikes your fancy. Shake them really well.
6. Each person picks a number. #1 goes first. They get to pick any gift they like from the table or designated area.
7. Next #2 goes. Once their gift is unwrapped they can choose to keep it or steal #1's gift. By stealing I mean #2 takes #1's gift and gives them their gift.
8. Continue to go in order. The person can steal (swap) their gift with anyone who has gone before them.
9. At the very end #1 can steal (swap) with anyone in the group.
It is so much fun. There are nice gifts and funny gifts. This game is good for most any age. My kids love it. I am sure your family will too! Have you ever heard of the White Elephant Christmas game before? What is the best White Elephant Christmas gift you have ever seen?